Pages

Wednesday 26 June 2013

Dress Like A Starlet For A Fraction Of The Cost!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I love history and clothes, hence my delight at finding a picture of this exquisite Givenchy gown that currently resides in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London.

Givenchy silk, organza and crepe dress, 1972
Therefore you may understand my absolute delight when this morning while sorting through my clothes at Prick-me-Dainty Head Quarters (the fancy moniker for my stock room), I was reacquainted with this marvellous maxi dress and the angels sang to me, rhapsodising at their similarity in style!

Block colour maxi dress, 1970s

By the 1970s, svelte lines of the maxi dress where replacing the more angular lines of the 1960s mini dress

































Both dresses comprise of a V-neck bodice with wide frill collar. Both are full skirted, flouncing from the waist with sash belts. Each dress has a decorative hem that echoes the design of the collar.

Hubert de Givenchy was born in 1927 and designed for Schiaparelli's boutique before launching his own label in 1952, producing beautiful ball gowns and evening dresses.
By the 1970s, Western Society was becoming increasingly multicultural and this was reflected in the clothing- you only have to look at the Asian and African inspired 'hippie' fashions and prints of the time.
Both dresses have taken inspiration from the gypsy dress; retaining the classic fluid lines while dispensing with the use of bright colours or patterns in order to create sophisticated and timeless pieces.

I couldn't even hazard a guess at the price of the Givenchy dress, but my handpicked beauty will be available to purchase on the Prick-me-Dainty website, giving you the chance to dress like a starlet at a fraction of the cost!

Lots of love,
PmD xx




No comments:

Post a Comment